Some advice for a responsible harvester
In an attempt to limit health risks and to protect the environment, you should :
- Get informed on the sanitary quality of harvested areas.
- Respect temporary or permanent bans (set by prefectural and city decrees).
- Respect minimum catch sizes regulations, as well as tagging species programs, harvesting periods and quotas.
- Look for tides hours and the weather.
- Harvest only what you can consume within the same day and mind the tides.
- Keep shellfish fresh and consume them shortly after their harvest as their quality may decline quickly.
- Preserve the marine ecosystem (put the rocks back into place, fill in the holes again, use appropriate and authorized tools...).
Moreover, it is forbidden to sell your catches without a license (only delivered to professionnal shellfish harvesters).
Information about shellfish harvesting sanitary hazards and regulations are also available from city councils and competent services:
- DDTM/DML (Departmental Direction of Territories and Sea / Shore&Sea Services)
- DTARS (Regional Health Territorial Delegation) of each department in Brittany
- IFREMER (French Research Institute for Exploitation of the Sea)
Information: useful links
- For further information on the sanitary aspect of shellfish harvesting in Brittany, please visit the ARS Bretagne (Health Regional Agency) website (into: Votre Santé > Votre Environnement > Loisirs).
- The weather : Météofrance
- Tides Hours : SHOM
- For further details about monitoring programs and microbiological, phytoplanktonic or chemical analysis results, please visit the Coastal environment IFREMER website. This website also contains the "Paramaps" tool displaying microbiological, phytoplanktonic and chemical qualities everywhere in France.
- To learn more about official regulations and sanitary alerts in each department, please visit the prefectural websites:
- Ille-et-Vilaine (Politiques publiques > Mer, littoral et sécurité maritime),
- Côtes d'Armor (Les actions de l’État > Mer, Littoral et Pêche),
- Finistère (Politiques publiques > Mer, littoral et sécurité maritime),
- Morbihan (Politiques publiques > Mer, littoral et sécurité maritime).
- You can download, from the Ifremer website Archimer or from the ARS Bretagne website, an annual report entitled "Suivi bactériologique des gisements naturels de coquillages de l'Ille-et-Vilaine et des Côtes d'Armor fréquentés en pêche à pied (=bacteriological monitoring of wild shellfish populations harvested in the Ille-et-Vilaine and Côtes d'Armor departments)
- To inquire about the quality of near-shore waters (hydrology, phytoplankton, chemical pollutions, microbiology...) please consult the monitoring reports made by Ifremer, in the regional monitoring reports section of the coastal environment website.
- For further information on shellfish harvesting and fishing in general, please visit the "Pêche à pied" section of the Bretagne-environnement website.
- Vivarmor is a very active association on this topic. It displays many details about shellfish harvesting in general and in the department of Côtes d'Armor in particular.
Please note that many of the previous links are available in French only.